Sunday, November 29, 2015

going to the dogs

I am about to become a Dad.

Actually, I am about to become a dog owner -- or to be owned by a dog.  That is, if all goes well.

A golden retriever in Barra de Navidad had a litter of 9 pups on 14 September.  They are now ready for their new homes.  I understand the majority have taken up residence with their new owners.  But at least one is still available.

When Professor Jiggs died (just over 6 years ago), I was unclear if I wanted another dog.  At the time, I was traveling a lot, and that is not something to which I wanted to subject another dog.  During Jiggs's young dog days, I spent a lot of time traveling on business.  And Mexico is certainly not the most convenient country in which to travel with a dog.  Especially, a big one.

But I have missed the companionship of a dog.  During my morning walks, a lot of people bring their dogs along for the exercise.  That image was enough for me to put "get a dog" back on my "to do" list.

So, let me introduce you to who may become my boon companion.  He was born sixth among the nine.

I have already chosen a name for him.  But you are going to have to wait for its unveiling.  The name had to be Spanish -- or Spanish-ish.  It is two names.  The first has to do with what dogs do; the last describes his color.  It even has a political significance.

However, there is no need to tell you the name until I have the dog in hand.  That means getting back to Barra de Navidad -- which I hope we do soon.


No comments: