Sunday, September 13, 2015

last medical bulletin -- i hope


Some of you may remember I was scheduled to see my doctor last Friday for a follow-up appointment on my left leg.

It was a good visit.  The swelling and redness in my leg are gone.  And, even though my instep and toes are still obviously swollen, they have decreased in size.

I had hoped my doctor would say the swelling would soon be gone.  He didn't.  Instead, he said it should take at least six more months for the foot to return to its normal size.  The culprit is not my blood circulatory system, but my lymphatic system.

The good news is I can re-initiate my walking program next Friday.  The exercise should help the fluid work its way out of my foot.

But I will need to wear those silly white pressure socks while I recover.  Some people doubt I will wear them during my public exercise sessions.  They are probably right.

When I was discharged from the hospital, my doctor told me to stay out of the swimming pool for several days.  I forgot to ask him on Friday whether "several days" had now passed. 

Doctor Steve has declared they have.  With our increased humidity, that was an easy call.

So, there you have it.  A swollen foot.  A bit of bed rest.  Nurse stockings.  And lots of patience.

That is just about enough of this little adventure.  I will tell you a bit about the hospital stay (and its costs).  But that can wait.

I need to go take a cooling dip in the pool -- where there is neither wife nor dog. 


No comments: