Sunday, February 23, 2014

the end of my tour days


Yesterday (end of days), I made the point that Tulum had the honor of being one of the last last remnants of the ancient Maya civilization.  But it was not the end of days for the Maya.  Their descendants have surrounded me this past week.

But it is the end of days for this tour. 

By the time you read this, I should be back in Melaque after a late evening flight into Guadalajara -- and a scheduled bus drop-off around 1 AM in Melaque.  This afternoon, I will be on another airplane headed to Oregon.

I like these bus tours with Mex-Eco Tours because they give me a vacation from retirement.  And they are always  well-planned with a variety of activities.

That "variety of activities" comment may seem odd since I have written only about the archaeological sites we visited.  There is a rationale for that.  The reason I come on these trips is for the archaeology.  But this trip was far more than that.

We visited
Mérida and Valladolid.  We swam in a cenote at Ik Kil, and floated down an aqueduct constructed by the Maya in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.  And we stayed smack dab on the Caribbean at Paa Mul -- where some of our group visited Playa del Carmen and Akumal.

I will tell you a bit more about the rest of the story in a day or two when my rolling-about stops.  As I write this, I can see and feel the waves of the Caribbean seducing me into another immersion.

My next report will be from Oregon -- but about the
Yucatán.

How is that for international inclusiveness?

 

No comments: