Wednesday, July 03, 2013

happy 21, snake lady


In Mexico, a young woman's 15t h birthday is the deal of deals.  The equivalent of a coming out party in Dallas or Manhattan.  With a strong mix of Catholic tradition folded in.

Not so, north of the Rio Bravo.  But Americans have certain rites of passage.  Perhaps, the traditional border of adulthood at 21 being the most significant.

And, as hard as it is for me to believe, my niece, Kaitlyn, recently cleared that tope.  I would have enjoyed being there.  I missed her high school graduation three years ago.  And now I have missed her 21st birthday.  Both times, I was sweltering on the Melaque beach.

She has turned out to be quite the individual.  We knew that was going to be the case when she was kicked off the school bus her first day of school -- for telling the driver how he should do his job.

The fact that she has become a keeper of snakes (and snake lore) should surprise no one.  You have to respect a woman who keeps a pet that eyes visitors as potential prey.

So, happy birthday, Kaitlyn.  I promise I will show up for one of your events.  Maybe your retirement party.



Note -- The photograph is from Kaitlyn's graduation -- of my brother, Darrel; Kaitlyn; and the irrepressible matron of the brood, The Mother.  I miss seeing them on a regular basis.


And, thanks to her mother, here is my neice at her birthday party.  I see the circus theme remains alive in the family.


No comments: