Monday, January 14, 2013

the little master arrives

Sixty-four years ago -- at 5:30 AM -- I made my entrance into this world.

According to my baby book, my arrival was expected to be a bit dramatic.  I was situated to appear on stage -- bottom first.

The potential mooning was a portent of my future view on life.  But not on that day.

I apparently showed some propriety by righting myself.  Leaving the comfort of the womb for the comfort of family and friends.  And enjoying every moment of it -- even into my seventh decade.

Rumors to the contrary, this photograph is not how I entered the world.  I was actually born clutching a brief case.  For some inexplicable reason, I am not holding it.  The nurse was probably washing it when the photographer was in the delivery room.

Birthdays are a good time to reflect.  But Socrates was not correct.  The unexamined life is often worth living.

So, my advice to myself is to keep on accepting the adventures that life has to offer.  Wherever that may be.  And let other people do the examination for me.


13 comments:

norm said...

I drove three men in their 70s out to a remote sliver mine this past weekend. The geologist in the group scrambled up a talus slope into the old mine and brought back a nice ore sample. It does not end until your dead if you're lucky. Happy birthday Steve, many more.

Debi Kuhn said...

Happy Happy Birthday Steve, enjoy it all!

Penny said...

Many Happy Returns of the day Steve! Have a great birthday, What a little cutie you were!!

Andean said...

You haven't changed at all.
!Feliz Cumpleaños!

Steve Cotton said...

I can still wear that suit.

Steve Cotton said...

Were? Thanks, Penny. I will be back in Melaque before too long.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Debi. I will.

Steve Cotton said...

Scrambling is one of my specialties. Thanks, Norm.

Felipe Zapata said...

Kudos to you for knowing you are in your seventh decade, not your sixth.

Steve Cotton said...

I learned that from you and Calypso.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Tomas.

John Calypso said...

Happy Birthday joven!

Shannon Casey said...

Happy elated birthday Steve!