Thursday, November 10, 2011

users may experience --


I was turning into one of those side effect warnings you hear at the end of drug commercials.


You know the ones I mean.  Always delivered in a Gilbert and Sullivan patter song tempo.


Headache.  Nausea.  Fatigue.  Drowsiness.  Swollen feet.


Just before I moved to Mexico, my health had taken a severe downturn.  My blood pressure was high.  I had put on an incredible amount of weight.  And I had just been diagnosed as diabetic (even though I was in the category formerly known as “pre-diabetic”).


Three months in Mexico with a new diet (or rather the inaccessibility of not-so-healthy foods) and lots of walking had an amazing effect.  I lost 30 pounds.  My blood sugar levels were the envy of a 22 year-old.  And my blood pressure was well within normal limits -- normal enough that my doctor reduced my medication dosage.


That was 2009.  While I was in the highlands this summer, I ran out of my usual medication.  I stopped to see a doctor, who prescribed something different.  I researched it on the internet -- and it was in the same category as my old medication.


When I returned to Melaque in September, the heat seemed to be harder to bear than when I left.  I attributed it to a lack of acclimation.  But things did not get better over the next two months.  I started getting severe headaches.  And I slept.  Often 12 hours a night.  But I was still exhausted during the day.


My doctor also  works with the Indian school -- a project I support.  I needed to talk with her yesterday about some donations.  While I was there, I told her I was not feeling as well as I usually do.


Her first instinct was to check my blood pressure.  But I wanted her to check my blood sugar.  I had convinced myself that the diabetes had returned.


Out came the needle and the little testing machine.  It was fine.


I wish I could have said the same for the blood pressure test result.  I am a mediocre bowler.  But I would have been happy with both readings if they were projected above a lane.  But they were a bit distressing as blood pressure results.


That was easily resolved.  She put me back on my old medication -- with the proviso that I buy it that afternoon.


Oh, and there was one additional complaint.  In July, I awoke with fresh blood in my left ear.  Even though it felt as if there might be an infection in the ear canal, I ignored it.  (I must confess, though, I imagined the leaf cutter ants seeking revenge by setting up a nest in my ear.)  I also ignored another smaller discharge about three weeks later.


OK.  I am not a very good patient.


It turns out there is still an infection in the ear canal -- that could have contributed to the headaches.  Another pill and some ear drops are destined to clear it up.


The result?  Oddly, I could not sleep last night.  I fell asleep for about an hour and stayed up reading until about 7 AM -- and then slept until 10.


But I feel great.  And my feet slip easily into my sandals.


I had hoped to get off of all medications while living here in Mexico.  Even though the doctor fees are quite reasonable (less than $15 USD), my prescriptions cost more here than they do in The States.  (That is not always the case.  Most prescription drugs cost less here than they do above the Rio Bravo.)


The hope of going drug-free is probably not to be.


I am just glad that I had other business with my doctor.  She has made me a new man.


It is still hot here.  But I no longer feel like I am a walking side effect warning. 

31 comments:

Babsofsanmiguel said...

Good grief.  Glad you saw the Dr!

Steve Cotton said...

Me too.  But you know how we men are.

Tafreeburn said...

funny you mentioned "how men are" because that's exactly what i  thought when i read your post.  glad you were seen and are feeling better.

i take several meds, something i've always avoided but it finally got to point where i needed to start taking them. one if also for blood pressure. we have to take good care of our bodies if we want to live a long and healthy life. 

Tafreeburn said...

p.s. Happy Veteran's Day!  oh, i just realized it's still the 10th there but better early than not at all.

teresa 

Taco said...

Stop making Big Pharma rich! Get yourself a good homeopathic doctor and replace the prescriptions with something natural. Much better for you and the world.

Steve Cotton said...

Hey. Someone has to do their part to keep the economy chugging along. It may as well be me.

I tried waving refrigerator magnets over my Coke Light, but it didn't seem to work.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks. That will be my post for tomorrow.

Steve Cotton said...

And we wonder why we die before you women. I have a theory on that, as well. But that would merely stir up more comments.

Kim G said...

Sheesh, man!  Take your meds. Don't zipline. And stay far away from that crocodile.  We want your amusing commentary for many years yet.

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where we think good medicine is great economy.

Steve Cotton said...

I am usually pretty good about monitoring this type of stuff.  But I got a bit distracted this past month.

Nita5 said...

Homeopathic is good for some things, but for serious things it's usually not enough. Glad you're feeling better. Since you didn't post for a couple of days. I thought maybe you had had an encounter with the croc!

jennifer rose said...

No, no, no to homeopathy. You're smarter than that. You would sooner vote for Obama than do homeopathic stuff. Singing Kumbaya would be just about as effective.

Remember, it's all about Better Living Through Chemistry. God didn't develop modern pharmaceuticals so you could ignore them. You're really gonna piss off God if you ignore her, you know.

Steve Cotton said...

I was going to post yesterday, but I still was not feeling in a scrivener mood. 

Steve Cotton said...

The choice will either be my medications (and I do thank God for pharmaceutical companies) or nothing at all.  But we know what happened to Andee when she decided to choose door number two.  I am not quite ready for that.

Kirsten said...

Steve,  I highly recommend the book "The Dash Diet for Hypertension", Lower your blood presure in 14 days --without drugs.  Recommended by the American Heart Association     Author - Thomas Moore, M.D.

Laurie Matherne said...

Wow. I am relieved that you have found relief. God is good. And I second Kim's admonition about the crocodile. 

Jwander said...

Yesterday, you listed Mexico Woods blog as having made a recent entry. Unfortunately, there have been no recent entries. I really enjoyed his blogging. Do you have any info on why the gentleman no longer blogs ? His stories and photos were top notch. Thanks.

Rick said...

Steve, Andee also lived in oppressive heat and humidity. Her steamy frame of mind seemed to cause confusion and bad judgement.  She chose cases of Coca Cola instead her diabetes meds.
Remember Fitzcarraldo - jungle living did not agree with him either, made his mind mushy.

Steve Cotton said...

That is why I keep the rail between the two of us -- the croc and me, that is.

Steve Cotton said...

I tried some of those diet modifications.  When they include salt and grease as basic building blocks, I will sign right up. 

But I will take a look.

Steve Cotton said...

John has brain cancer and is not writing these days. The last time I saw him was in July in San Miguel. Why it came to the top of the roll, I have no idea.

Steve Cotton said...

Just as long as I do not turn into Kurtz.

Don Cuevas said...

I never discuss my health issues on the Internet. But I will say that retirement and good living (read: eating) in Mexico put a lot of kilos of fat on my skinny frame.

Saludos,Don Cuevas 

Steve Cotton said...

One advantage I have is that I get bored with Mexican cuisine very easily.  And that is about all we have hereabouts.

Kathe said...

I have recently had some health issues too...when the doctor told me that I am hypertensive, I commented that I have never had a problem with high blood pressure readings before. He replied, " You've never been 63 before either".

Steve Cotton said...

A wise doctor.

Betty said...

I have to comment.  The doctor's comment is not wise and high blood pressure doesn't automatically come at age 63.  I would try exercise, eat a healthier diet and try to eliminate stress as much as one can before considering medications.  Some people take better care of their cars than their bodies.  The average American is on 10 prescription drugs by age of 65.    
Who wants to go down that road!   

Steve Cotton said...

No.  But it matters far more who your parents were.  We may be able to tinker around the edges with hypertension.  But my DNA is set to blow at some point.  I suspect around 97 or so.  After the dementia sets in.  Say, around 63.

Kim G said...

Homeopathy's great success came from displacing more horrifying treatments like blood letting. Compared to that, it was a great success. But up against double-blind, placebo-controlled studies on scientifically-derived pharmaceuticals, it doesn't stand a chance. 

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where we have great faith in the scientific method.

Barb said...

Steve, thanks for this post. Your comment about your feet fitting your sandals strikes a chord for me. Every time we come down, my feet swell. The only real dietary change is my soda. I think this may be the culprit.

Steve Cotton said...

Once I switched back to my regular prescription, I was fine.  See -- I should have seen your doctor.