Wednesday, February 02, 2011

little gto

"Little GTO/You're really looking fine."


At least that is what Jan and Dean told us in the 60s.


And I am here to tell you that my little GTO (Guanajuato) is looking just as fine.


Before someone else does it for me, let me make what I suspect is an obvious point.  It is impossible to evaluate a place in two days.  However, my experience is that first impressions are surprisingly accurate.


With that in mind, there is no reason why I would not be happy escaping the Melaque heat with an extended visit to Guanajuato this summer.  After all, I have already completed the historical background piece.


And how do I know Guanajuato will supply the one thing I will need somewhere around early August -- cooler weather?  After all, I have only seen the weather in January. 


Easy.  From friendly advice and extrapolation.


If it is now jacket weather in Guanajuato when it is shirt-sleeve weather in Melaque, I can assume the temperature difference will remain relative.


My friends, who once lived in Melaque and now live in Guanajuato, have added their endorsement to my summer move -- August weather is marvelous in the mountains.


But I am not just trying to find a spot with cooler summer weather.  I want a place to give my brain and soul some satisfaction.


Culture is everywhere in Guanajuato.  Most of it driven by the town's history.


There are enough churches, buildings, and museums to keep me occupied for years -- let alone a few weeks.  Not to mention the series of festivals that I will probably miss this year.


But, more than that, I like Guanajuato's soul.  Large enough to be be vibrant.  Small enough to retain the feel of a town.


And, as a wealthy town, there are new details of life to be discovered on every walk.  Whimsical knockers.  A new alley.  An unexpected glimpse of dome.


The only concern I encountered is something other people have noted about Guanajuato -- the locals are a bit distant.  Acquaintances do not come easily.


But that is not a big factor to pick a summer escape.  After all, I am looking for a place to cool off, not to build a life partner relationship.


And my little GTO will be just fine for that.


Unless something better comes along.  Like Mustang Sally?

5 comments:

Don Cuevas said...

Zacatecas would probably be cooler and almost as culturally rich.

Saludos,
Don Cuevas

Steve Cotton said...

There are some cultural icons I can avoid.

Steve Cotton said...

One nmore option to add to the list. But I suspect there will be enough summers in Mexico to give me plenty of colonial options.

KimG said...

So a rough rule of thumb is that for every 1,000' of altitude, the average temperature drops about 5 degrees F. According to Wikipedia, Guanajuato is 1730 meters ASL, which would be about 5,700 feet, equating to temperatures about 28 degrees F lower than Melaque.

So it's probably lovely in the summer. It was great in May when we visited.

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where it's uncanny how we both have a picture of the same door.

Steve Cotton said...

Now that is the type of extrapolation I needed. But you are the figures guy.

And that was an interesting door, wasn't it?