Friday, May 07, 2010

baby, it's cold outside


And it is.


Relatively.


I have now been in Oregon for almost three weeks.  But, for some reason, I felt the cold Thursday morning.


People hip-deep in Alberta snow would laugh at the adjective.  I am not talking about bone-chilling cold.  Just cold.


44.


Most of my life, I would have laughed at anyone who said 44 was cold.  Especially on a clear, sunny morning.


But, when I opened the back door to head off to the office, I felt as if I had been hit by the Jack Frost Express.


And I think I know why. 


When I returned to Oregon, the cool temperatures seemed a bit exotic.  After all, I had spent the past year living on the Mexico coast -- where the temperature seldom falls below 70.  Other than that pesky bout of high blood pressure and elevated triglycerides, I would claim that my blood had thinned -- and my skin had thickened.


After three weeks, the novelty of refreshing cools has worn off.  I am just about to join that club of people who have a cat's tolerance for cold.  The people who look for a warm spot of sun to nap away the day.


But -- not today.  Today there is work to be done.

6 comments:

Tancho said...

Too cool,eh?
You may not like SMA then,, you might just only tolerate the coasts from this point on....

Anonymous said...

Now you know the evolutionary purpose of that "bloated" feeling. Insulation, Old Bear.

ANM

Irene said...

Today promises to be a perfect spring day! As soon as the temperature moves above 60 anyway.

Babs said...

Yup, 44 here this morning at 7:30AM - but heck, who is up that early?
Me, trying to get the gardening done.
It's 89 now at 2Pm. Oh, and yes, I'm back in San Miguel....where it is so absolutely delightful.

GlorV1 said...

We had a low of 51 today and it's about 80 right now. Sunday it's supposed to rain with a low of 49 and a high of 67. I wonder if all the mother's will be upset about Sunday's weather?? Have a great weekend Steve. Take Care.

Leslie Harris said...

The weather here has really warmed up. But I'm not complaining. After this last winter, I have vowed never to complain about the heat again. (We shall see how long that will last!) :)