Wednesday, March 12, 2008

my own private Oregon



Mother Nature is in full labor in the Willamette Valley. Daylight savings time. Sunny days. Short sleeves. The perfume of daphne (the flower, not the deceased author). What more could a boy and his dog ask for?



We Oregonians are accustomed to the false spring of mid-February. One of those little tricks that the weather plays on us every year. The drizzle stops and the sun makes a Norma Desmond entrance -- for a day or two.





We lack groundhogs. Perhaps an opossum noses around in the daylight and is frightened of his shadow. In any event, our day of delight quickly turns into a Cruise-with-Noah marathon. Eventually, the clouds part and the rain stops -- and we have the type of summers others lie about. I would take a summer in Oregon over any other place.



But this year, we have been literally luxuriating in what appears to be a true spring in March.





During the past week, I have taken a series of pictures to illustrate the walk that Jiggs and I usually take. Michael Dickson has posted a similar series of his walk routine in Michoacan -- to great effect. I will do that -- soon.





But right now, I just wanted to share a few of the vignettes that have brought pure joy to me -- and The Professor.

7 comments:

Hollito said...

Nice pics, Steve. What are the white flowers in the first picture called in the USA?
Here we call them "Schneegloeckchen", which could be translated with "small snow bells", because they are the first flowers to show up after wintertime.

Steve Cotton said...

Hollito --

Great to hear from you, again.

The German name is almost exactly the same as the name in English: snow bells. I thought they might be related to snow drops. (See my February 23 posting.) I do not know the scientific name of either flower.

A brief search on line shows a large number of plants called snow bells -- including a purple flower in Austria. I wonder if any of the gardeners amongst us knows the scientific name of both flowers?

Anonymous said...

They are also know as snowflakes. The scientific name is Leucojum vernum carpathicum.

Babs said...

Magnifico!

Beth said...

What I find utterly amazing is that these pictures have all been taking in the downtown area of Salem. Salem is much maligned for being boring and culturaly sparse, but for greenspace and pleasant strolls it ranks high in my book.

Hollito said...

Steve,

I read all of your blog entries, even I do not comment all.

And I really appreciate your thoughts and your photos.

It´s just fine to see how and where you are living right now.

I am really looking foward to meet you one day in MX or even in the US, as much as e.g. meeting Wayne in person one day. I think the whole "blog thing" is a really fine option to find friends in mind, no matter how far they are away.

Regards and have a nice weekend,
Holger "Hollito"

Steve Cotton said...

Hollito --

I look forward to meeting you, as well. I may even try out some of my very rusty German on you.