Saturday, February 23, 2008

the flowers that bloom in the -- spring?



I had a meeting at the church this morning to discuss the plans for the new Kroc center. As I went around the corner of the house, I noticed a splash of bright yellow. The daffodils are starting to bloom. Here is the first one.


Andee and I used to share email of gardening "firsts." I guess one of my memorials to her is that I will share this first with all of you.


I started to write that this bloom seems early -- until I realized February is nearly gone -- and the rest of the daffodils are still in their heading stage. This is merely an early bloomer.


In addition to the daffodil, I have crocus, spring stars, and banks of snow drops in bloom. In fact, I am done writing this note. The sun is shining. I am going to sit out in the yard and read while enjoying the sun and the flowers.


I hope you enjoy the flower pictures. I know Andee would.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

What lovely pictures of your first spring flowers. I´m in Guadalajara now on a business trip and enjoying the warm weather, but seeing your first spring blooms reminds me that I have something to look forward to when I return to Salem mid-week. Down here the bouganvillas are in full bloom, reminiscent of all my years in Southern California. Once you move you´ll find that the local flora and fauna will be different from that of Salem, yet beautiful in their own way.

Aleè Robbins

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Aleè. It has been a beautiful weekend up here. Today more flowers were in bloom. Enjoy Guadalajara. I hope to return to Mexico soon.