Saturday, February 09, 2008

barenosed in the park


I mentioned in Sunday’s post that I had started thinking about staying in my current job for three more years. Those three years would bring me past another major financial milestone and would ensure a better monetary flow for retirement. It is exactly the type of logic I hear from my fearful friends: “But how can you be sure you will have enough money?”


I am not certain why the financial security bug popped up again. The easy answer to the question is that no one can predict the adequacy of resources because we cannot predict the future. It is even a more absurd argument when I realize that my friends who fear not having money are in the top 10% of America’s wealthiest – making them in the top 1% of the world’s wealthiest. (I made up the numbers, but you understand the point.) This is a perfect example of why Jesus criticized the rich; their reliance on wealth corrodes their spiritual relationships.


Even though I cannot guarantee that I will have any more money if I wait to retire, I can guarantee that I will have fewer years to live in retirement if I keep wasting them at work.


Having dumped the “I need more money” argument, I am ready to head south – soon.


I just took the dog for a walk through our favorite park. The sky was clear, the day was warming, and the dog was being a dog – stopping, sniffing, smelling, licking. He was at one with his world. But he was taking forever to get around our usual course. I kept trying to speed up – he would simply slow down.
Need I tell you, it was a great metaphor for my current life. Jiggs is the boy I should be. He was enjoying what was put in front of him, and he was relishing every moment, every scent. I, on the other hand, was creating a phony schedule – I need to be doing something. Well, I was doing something, but I was doing it badly. When I was a boy, I would have been enjoying the stream and the ducks and the fallen leaves and the voles scampering for their lives – just as Jiggs was. So, I slowed down and enjoyed the walk.


Right now, I am going to join him in a nap.


Several of you have added great comments under “jumping the shark.” You are all correct: I am ready to retire. We are only talking about timing now. I have a couple of personal obligations that I need to tend to. They should be resolved (or under control) between October and January.


And then the boy will run free.

6 comments:

Alan said...

Steve, I could not help myself after reading your blog today. "Do not overwork to be rich; Because of your own understanding, cease!" Prov 23:4 I believe your own understanding is coming through!

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Al. As always, you are right on point.

I found the comments in the last posting very reassuring. As you know, it is difficult to go from certainty to the unexpedted. But certainty is always a mirage. In my case, it is probably nothing more than inertia.

Time to get moving to something new.

Michael Dickson said...

Boy, does this sound familiar. I was worried about the money thing too before heading south. Did not put me off though because I retired at the earliest possible opportunity, which was 55 at the Hearst Corp.

Guess what? I have not worked a lick since December 1999, and I have more money now than when I crossed the border! The beauty of capitalism.

And that including living the first seven years almost entirely on savings. Too young for SS, and my corporate pension is puny.

My wife and I spend about $22,000 a year, doing just about anything we wish to.

You have enough money.

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Follow your heart not your wallet - as Michael suggest you have enough money. It is more than the three years - it is a lot less stress and sooner to enjoy life south of the border.

Down here we live on about 15k a year and towards the end of this year I will be on the social security rolls at the earliest possible date - don't wait!

Juan Calypso

Cory said...

I don't know specifics about your financial situation ... but it is my guess that if you don't think you have enough money now, you will never have enough money.

Not that I want you to leave the states right away!

Steve Cotton said...

Juan and Cory --

You are both correct. Money is really not an issue now. Once I get my other matters straightened out, I will be ready to retire -- and to head south.