Sunday, January 27, 2008

el gouge-o


This should really be a procrastination posting. I ended up doing very little planning or sorting this weekend. "Very little" translates to none in this part of the world. Yesterday I did not even manage to get out of my pajamas. And even though I made it to church this morning, I was quickly back in bed with my old friend Nyquil. I feel a bit of flu-like virus headed my way.



But I managed to pull myself together to go to dinner in Portland at El Gaucho with my friends, the Millers. They wanted to help me celebrate my birthday -- not one of the Big Ones, but it is a prime number. I realized during the meal how much I enjoy good food at good restaurants (even when the prices approach the level of being shameful). And amusing conversation with erudite friends who truly know how you operate cannot be purchased anywhere.



I raise that point because none of those items appeared on my list of things that interest me in Mexico. There is, of course, good food all over Mexico. But that is not the same thing as a good restaurant. There will be acquaintances, and perhaps maybe one or two friends. But visits from the friends I have accumulated over the years will be very important to me. Thus, easy access to transportation will need to be high on my list. The complexity of traveling to Morelia is bit one example. On the other hand, the Manzanillo airport is a delight.



For now, I am putting my body into the care of the Vicks Corporation.

4 comments:

Michael Dickson said...

Sure, there is good food all over Mexico. And it´s all the same food. It´s corn-based, swimming in cream and melted cheese. And given some interest by a side of blazing chiles. You roll up a tortilla to gnaw while you are diving through these high-calorie, heart-stopping creations.

Don´t, amigo, expect much variety in spite of what the Mexico apologist folks will tell you. And they are the vast majority.

This is, in my opinion, the biggest drawback to living here. Cuisine.

There are exceptions, as in all generalizations, but they are few and far between, alas.

Oh, the Jello. Must not forget the Jello.

Steve Cotton said...

I had some great seafood while staying in La Manzanilla. But I must confess that of the three best meals, one was cooked by a Frenchman, one by a Russian, and one by a Mexican cooking in a French style. It may be like that old British joke: London has some of the finest restaurants in the world; none serve British food.

Islagringo said...

Lies, lies, lies! Mexico (in my opinion) has some of the most interesting, varied foods around. Sure, you won't find elegant haute cuisine fare, but you will find good, honest, tasty fare. Each region of Mexico has its' own distinct specialties. From Poloze to Gorditas, from Poc Chuc to Friloes Charro, it's all there. Not too mention the seafood. Don't despair Steve. You will eat well. If you doubt it, just ask Billie. She has become a pro at fixing Mexican cuisine.

Steve Cotton said...

Well, as you can tell by my photo, I have never come close to starving to death -- no matter where I am travelling. I suspect that I will be able to use my rather eclectic cooking style by incorporating Mexican ingredients. Poulet Kiev with enchilada sauce sounds just about right.