Tuesday, December 25, 2007

should I sell my house?



In life, there are two types of people: and I am one of them.


Every article I have ever read on Mexico divides people who move to Mexico into two groups: people who maintain a lifeline to their old home, and those who head out like Lot’s family not looking back (with the exception of poor Mrs. Lot who turned into the family salt shaker).

I have rehearsed the logic behind each choice, and decided that logic is going to be a stepchild on this question because the question is almost entirely an emotional one. I like my house in Salem, but I have no emotional investment in it. What I have is a financial investment. I had hoped to use the proceeds from the sale of this house as a backstop for medical emergencies. And I have not changed that goal.

That means that I could sell the house today and not shed a tear, not suffer a single twinge of trauma. Where the trauma would come would be in the eventual selling price.

Salem has not suffered the same fall in prices as California or Arizona. But there are two houses within a block of my house that have been on the market for most of the year. The only action I see is the ever-decreasing listing price. And still they sit. On my walk with Jiggs, I noticed at least three other houses for sale. In January, I am having dinner with a realtor friend, her business partner, and his wife (the wife serves on the Salvation Army board with me and has taught Spanish for years). That should be an interesting dinner – developing a sales strategy while trying to learn some new Spanish phrases.

So, I guess that is the answer. I will sell the house (if I can) trying to get the closing date to match my retirement date as close as possible. Nancy and Paul of Countdown to Mexico were lucky enough to make the timing work. I hope it works as well for me. If not, my mother could always take over the house (the mortgage will be paid in full in 2008) until it sells. She is also a realtor.

The only reason to keep the house would be as a refuge if my adventure in Mexico falls flat. Not having a house for a refuge may be an asset – a bit like a marriage that is not working well. But why should I have the advantage of returning to an ex-wife when I should simply do my best to make the new marriage work? Even that is not a good analogy. I can always seek refuge throughout the country with friends and relatives in Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Colorado, Texas, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Arizona, Hawaii, Oregon, Nevada, and Washington. If Mexico does not work out, I will not be returning to Salem; I will be seeking adventures where the sun leads me.

Answer: Sell the house when it will bring a fair price. Until then, keep it.

2 comments:

Marie McC said...

Sounds like you've made a well thought out decision. I'm in your camp: whether Mexico works for me or not, I don't want to live in the Washington DC metro area after I retire, so selling for me is absolutely going to happen.

I don't believe it makes economic sense for a single person of modest means to maintain an empty house in the U.S. while giving Mexico a shot. I, for one, couldn't afford it. Nor would I want the hassle of renting my home and leaving it in the hands of property managers.

I'm sure you and Professor Jiggs will be happy, wherever you end up.

Steve Cotton said...

That is one reason I found the book Cashing in on a "Second Home in Mexico" to be so unrealistic. Buying one home is hard enough. I ran into a woman in La Manzanilla who has four homes. He spends one season of the year in each. I am happy for her, but it is not how most of us can(or would want to)live.